Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spicy tomatillo and Gouda scrambled eggs

Today was a very rushed day, I'll be honest.  I had a lot of meetings and a lot of things to check off on my to-do list.  Nevertheless, I went for a nice swim with some friends in the late afternoon, and came home from my workout with insatiable hunger pangs.  Despite having more than my fair share of pasta and salad, I was still hungry and, in fact, craving something else salty and wholesome.  Also feeling a bit tired from the day, I wanted something that was relatively quick to make, so I decided to quickly rustle up some scrambled eggs.

Initially, I thought I would just throw a diced tomato and some cheese into my eggs, but then I realized that I only have one more tomato left for the whole week.  Yikes!  What to do?  Then I remembered that I had a few tomatillos in my crisper.  Jackpot!  

My love for tomatillos grows as I get older.  I used to strongly dislike them, actually.  I only recently realized how well a cool, tangy tomatillo salsa pairs with heavy Southwestern dishes, as it cuts through the grease and cools the mouth after a spicy bite.  I usually don't branch out much with tomatillos, and that has got to change.  I really believe that tomatillos are incredibly under-utilized, considering how packed with flavor they are.  Well, today was the day to make that happen!  

I ended up improvising a little and threw together some other ingredients that I would have thought were a random mish-mash of things -- a shallot, tomatillo, fresh chili pepper, and some grated apple-smoked Gouda cheese.  Surprisingly, the eggs turned out great!  The slightly crunchy, tartness of the tomatillo complemented the creamy, smokiness of the Gouda cheese pretty well.  Throw in some thinly chopped shallots (or garlic would work in this case) and a sliced chili pepper, and you've got yourself some spicy scrambled eggs with a twist! An important note, though -- be sure to dice the tomatillo into very small pieces or this "Mexican tomato" may overwhelm your eggs.  

Enjoy this simple, yet flavorful dish.  And if it's as nice where you are as it is in good 'ole Atlanta, then please, eat it outside on a lawn chair and enjoy the weather -- or at the very least, crack some windows open (or better yet, a bottle of wine).  Happy fall!

Ingredients:

-1 shallot
-1 tomatillo
-1 small fresh chili
-2 eggs
-Salt to taste
-A small bunch of cilantro
-Small amount of olive oil

Preparation:

1. Finely dice/slice the tomatillo, shallot, and chili.
2. Roughly grate some smoked Gouda cheese (amount will depend on your personal taste :)...I threw in a small handful).
3.  Fry the diced/sliced shallot, chili, and tomatillo with a bit of olive oil on medium-high heat for a few minutes.  When they are about halfway cooked (the tomatillos should be 'sweating' a little and losing a little bit of color), throw in the eggs, Gouda, and salt (to bring out the flavors of the other ingredients).  
3. Cook the egg mixture for a few minutes until it's done.
4. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, and enjoy!

(Sorry, no picture today!  I was so hungry at the time that I gobbled up the eggs as soon as I took them off the stove!)

No comments:

Post a Comment