Monday, March 12, 2012

A Surprisingly Pleasant Visit to The Waffle House // Umami, Dearest

Alas, I return from another blog hiatus.  I hope you are ready for a blog-tastic time.  Err, um (oom)-tastic time. Ah, pun-tastic time.  Oh boy.  We all know how much I love cheesy puns and play on words.  (Feel free to roll your eyes at this point)

All right, did we get that all out of our system yet?  Okay!  Well, I have a lot to tell you all, folks.  In fact, too much to fit into one tiny post.  Regardless, I'll try to catch you all up on the juicy, delect-acular details (see what I mean??).

A SURPRISINGLY PLEASANT VISIT TO THE WAFFLE HOUSE

A few weeks ago, Joe and I went on a longer run with Sasha.  We took full advantage of the gorgeous weather and tackled a beautiful 9 mile route that we had carved out earlier in the day.  We were well aware, of course, that our stomachs would be begging for delicious, hearty meal and I generally like to plan my post-run meal ahead of time so I have something to look forward to.  "Where do you want to go for lunch today?  It has to be something DELICIOUS," I declare.  "Well, how about Waffle House?  We NEVER go to Waffle House," he replies.  GROAN.  WAFFLE HOUSE?!  I was skeptical.  (*Note: Joe has always wanted to visit the Waffle House Museum in Decatur, but unfortunately -- and maybe rather fortunately -- it is only open once a month.)  Anyway, I obliged and we headed to the nearest Waffle House after an invigorating jog in the sunshine together.  I ended up getting the pecan waffles with a side of bacon, while Joe ventured into the meaty entrees by ordering the fiesta omelet (which contained cheese, onions, tomatoes, and jalapenos).  I have to say, aside from the painstakingly slow service and the somewhat unclean kitchen floors, I was pleasantly surprised with our experience at the local Wa-Ho (as they call it here in Georgia).  Pecans were a perfect sweet and nutty addition to my waffles, which I topped with a thick slab of butter and a healthy dose of maple syrup.  Of course, one can never go wrong with a side of bacon, either.  Joe's fiesta omelet was a perfect, hearty post-run meal, packed with tons of protein.  So, while Waffle House was not my first choice in restaurants, it was a cheap way to re-energize after a long workout (I think our meal was a total of $15, and we got a TON of sides!).  Three cheers for Waffle House!

UMAMI, DEAREST

I read the most fascinating New York Times article a few days ago about the umami flavor.  As you'll recall, I've mentioned and described umami in some detail in a previous post, but this article highlights the most distinctive characteristics of the umami flavor and features them in a few fabulous recipes.  I plan on trying some of them over the next few weeks, but the miso butter seems particularly appealing (and the simplest) to me. I imagine the rich, nutty, salty flavors of the butter likely go well with just about anything, but I may try it with a medley of different types of mushrooms.  So, here's what I'm thinking -- a combination of shiitake, button, oyster, and enoki (or other) mushrooms sauteed in garlic, chives, and miso butter.  OR, a flaky fish, like tilapia or catfish, topped with miso butter, garlic, fresh ginger, and leeks, baked in a covered dish for 20-25 minutes.  I'll try these recipes (or others, if you all have suggestions) and report back the results.  Please do the same if you have any creative ideas or fantastic recipes in mind!  Something else that intrigued me on this page was the miso spice.  While it seems like it can be used as a topper or dry rub for various different dishes, the preparation of the spice appears to be somewhat onerous and time-consuming, so I may not try it after all.  Unless, of course, I happen to have 8 hours of spare time; but I may use that time to do other things, like eat foods involving miso butter!  (insert evil laugh)


My apologies for the silliness of this post.  I am in a silly mood, I'll be honest.  Tomorrow (or soon), I will post something about a trip I took to Houston a few weeks ago.  The entire weekend was a feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment