Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hearty salad topped with smoked salmon and crushed chips

*Warning: Today's post will be short and simple.  Hope you still enjoy!

Y'all, I had the best salad yesterday.  All I wanted to do at the end of the day was come home and eat a comforting, filling dinner and watch some mindless TV with my sweet Sasha.  I remembered having some leftover smoked salmon from lunch and some irresistible loaded baked potato potato chips with ridges (best chips in the world, next to smoky barbeque chips.  Oh, and the ridges are key - chips taste better with that thick texture!) laying around.  So, I decided to make a large salad with whatever I had laying around the pantry and top it off with the salmon and crushed chips.  I think you can use literally whatever is in your fridge, but I happen to cut some lettuce, tomato, carrots, radishes, red onion, strawberries, and sliced almonds into my salad.  After topping it with thinly sliced salmon, I added a tangy, garlicky dressing and crushed a handful of deeeeeeeeee-lectable chips into the bowl.  (*Note: The chips should always go in last to maintain maximum crunchiness!)

Every bite was filled with the smokiness of the salmon, crunchiness of the radishes, chips, and almonds, and juiciness of the various sliced fruit in the salad.  Mmmm-mmm!  What a perfect way to end the day.

Here's the recipe for the dressing I made:

Garlicky balsamic vinaigrette (this is for a small jar-full):

Ingredients:

-1 part balsamic vinegar, 4 parts olive oil
-sea salt, cracked pepper
-1 large clove of garlic

Preparation:

-Combine vinegar, oil, and salt/pepper (to taste)
-Crush and finely chop the garlic and add to dressing (Note: It is important to crush the garlic first!  I usually do so with a meat tenderizer.  It helps release the delicious juices into the dressing.)
-Mix well and serve with salad

No comments:

Post a Comment