Monday, December 12, 2011

A fun, new project

Hello, world! Welcome to my blog. My love for food (both eating and making it) has inspired me to archive my most memorable culinary experiences. My first post, unfortunately, will be somewhat nonsensical and uninformative since I feel completely wiped out by my other recent interest -- making Christmas presents to save money (more on that later).

Here begins the nonsensical-ness. So, do you know what font my blog title has been set to? Cherry cream soda. CHERRY CREAM SODA! I happen to think it's an attractive font, but aside from that, I am excited that there are several font types available that are named after foods and/or beverages! Although, I have to say, I absolutely abhor cherry cream soda. In fact, I hate all cherry-flavored drinks, much less sodas. I might be in the minority there.

Regardless, what inspired this blog anyway (besides my love for food)? Well, for the last week, I have had daily conversations with my boyfriend, Joe, about the exciting foods we've had, both at home and at various restaurants around town. I keep telling him that I need to document my intimate experiences with these foods...the emotions each bite elicit, what goes through my mind every time I close my eyes, let a morsel of food melt on my tongue to activate each and every taste bud in my mouth...(well, you get the point; a few of you may know how I sometimes get carried away when talking about food). So, I started taking pictures of everything I've been eating that looked delicious. This doesn't include, by the way, things I eat on a daily basis, like my morning oatmeal with brown sugar. That's boring! I mean, those foods are still delicious, but the idea behind this blog is to document unique experiences with food not only so I can remember them, but also so I can share my culinary joy with others!

By the way, anyone pick up on where the title of this blog came from? Those of you who know me well remember my obsession with Parks and Recreation (it's like a newer, better version of The Office). Well, remember the episode where Ron Swanson and Chris Traeger have a contest to see who can make the best burger? And Chris goes to an upscale, frou-frou organic grocery store for supplies for his turkey burgers, while Ron grabs some cheap-ass ground beef from the local Food and Stuff?? Ron Swanson ended up winning that cook-off at the end of the episode. And while I'm not a huge proponent of cheap, mediocre-quality meats, Ron did have a valid point in this episode -- some classic foods should remain simple. Having fewer ingredients sometimes brings out the deliciousness in meals.

Anyway, a little over a week has passed since I first brought up this blog idea and I am just now creating it. So, I have a lot to catch up on in describing several dishes I've had since the beginning of December. Good thing I took those pictures to remind me of my experiences! But alas, this entry has taken away the last bit of energy I had left from winter gift preparations. Eh, maybe I will start tomorrow. For now, I will sit back and enjoy the fruits of my winter gift-making labor...and eat some pumpkin ice cream. Thanks for reading, y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great, can't wait to read your posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am eager to read your posts. Maybe you can do an entry regarding road kill meals. For example, I heard a story where a local man ran over a wild hog with his truck and proceeded to grill or smoke it for dinner. I imagine that's not the type of blog you're going for here. More like when I ate alpaca in Peru, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, AP! Haha, no hillbilly roadkill for dinner tonight. So yes, this will be less like Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and more like Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. :) With less blatant drunkenness. Hope you enjoy! Any and all suggestions are welcome!

    ReplyDelete