Wednesday, December 14, 2011

View count is over 100!

Dearest Readers,

I am so happy to report that this blog has been viewed over a 100 times!  I'm shocked and appalled.  Although, let's put things in perspective -- at least 2/3 of those views must be by me, checking to see how many people have viewed the site. :)  All the same, I am pleasantly surprised that someone other than myself actually has an interest in reading this.  Thank you so much, readers!

Today's post will be short and sweet because Joe is taking me to Chuy's again!  Hooray!

I've decided to save the salami and cheese post until tomorrow; in the meantime, I'll describe part of what I had for lunch today.  Sorry if it's a bit boring.  I had to counter yesterday's exciting post with something simple, though.  I was in a bit of a pinch today and had a number of foods (mostly produce) that I needed to consume before I leave town for two and a half weeks.  So I decided to pop a few sweet potatoes in the microwave and season them with ghee and some sea salt.  Remember my comment about how often keeping things simple often brings out the best of flavors?  Well, this is a prime example in exercising this principle.  Sweet potatoes are just plain delicious.  There is so much flavor and sweetness that there is very little they need to be seasoned with.

I purchased a few sweet potatoes from the farmer's market last weekend.  Surprisingly, they came in two varieties -- pink (the kind you normally see at the grocery store) and white (I was shocked, too!).  I haven't found a distinct difference between the two, actually.  Regardless, I decided that since this was going to be a short week for me, I could have a few sweet potatoes every day for lunch.

As I mentioned, sometimes having fewer ingredients in a dish is better.  I feel, in this case, that adding small amounts of ghee and sea salt actually make the incredible sweetness of the potato pop.  It actually also brings out a bit of the smoky flavor that potatoes naturally have in them.  I must warn you!  A little bit goes a long way.  Too much oil and salty flavors can mask the sweetness, which totally ruins the dish.

All in all, the sweet potato dish was a success.  It was simple yet rich with sweetness and a bit of a salty tang.  And oh-so-perfect for a cold, gloomy day (which today's weather was neither of those, but what the hey).  Oh, and I did savor every bite of today's lunch.  I hope you all will, too, if you try this dish!

Off to stuff my face with salsa, tortilla soup, guacamole, and other delicious foods!  

No comments:

Post a Comment