Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Buttermilk Pumpkin Waffles (or Pancakes) with Savory Pumpkin Butter and a Side of Butternut Squash

About a week ago, I had the most intense culinary dream I've ever had.  I could somehow see myself making homemade, fluffy pumpkin pancakes, topping them with a rich, savory pumpkin butter, and serving myself with a side of roasted acorn and zucchini squash.  I could smell the sweetness of the pumpkin and squash, the richness of the butter, and the incredible aroma of rosemary and garlic added to the dish.  I woke up with intense hunger pangs and my mouth watering.

I had an incredible sense of urgency to prepare this dish immediately (after eating a snack to ameliorate my unhappy and empty stomach).  Despite leaving Atlanta the next day to visit my parents in Texas, I still had pumpkin on my mind (sing it to the tune of "Georgia On My Mind" by Ray Charles, substituting "pumpkin" for "Georgia," and you'll know what I'm talking about).  We had dinner at my aunt and uncle's house a few days ago, and fortuitously, there was a giant pumpkin growing in their plentiful garden that just happened to be ready to be picked.  Behold, the giant pumpkin, which weighed in at a lofty 17.2 pounds:

A ridiculously large, homegrown pumpkin, weighing in
at 17.2 pounds.

Brothers in a ceremonial cutting of "Pumpkin and the Beanstalk"
from attached vines.
Mom and I with the giant pumpkin.

My aunt, with her prized pumpkin.  Props to an expert gardener!  Talk about
a green thumb!

After an auspicious (not really) ceremonial cutting, we split the pumpkin in two and adjourned for the night, with half a giant gourd in tow.  Boy, was my family excited.  You see, we're crazy about fresh fruits and vegetables.  Acquiring half of a giant pumpkin is like finding gold to us!

I set out to tackle some of that pumpkin so we could make fluffy buttermilk pumpkin waffles.  I have to say (and not to toot my own horn, guys), but they turned out pretty fantastic.  Admittedly, the recipe would have been better for pancakes (buttermilk makes everything so fluffy!), but I had neither the energy nor the time to make 10-12 individual pancakes.  However, I would say this mix is probably good for either; if you want to save time and have a good quality waffle iron at home, go with the waffles, but if you fancy a sweet, fluffy pancake, go with that instead.

The batter itself was overall on the sweeter side, especially with the pumpkin puree in the mix.  However, I wanted to top the waffle off with something a bit more savory, so I drizzled some homemade pumpkin butter seasoned with (homegrown) rosemary and garlic.  With a side of rosemary and garlic-seasoned roasted butternut squash, this dish was reminiscent of all things autumn during what clearly feels like the middle of summer.  No matter!  There is never shame in eating root and gourd vegetables other times of the year!

Homemade pumpkin butter.

Oops, I had to try the waffle before I took a picture.  My mistake.
Homemade buttermilk pumpkin waffle topped with a savory pumpkin
butter and a side of roasted butternut squash (and a berry and mango salad
on the side).  


Here's the recipe; I hope you all thoroughly enjoy.  Bon appetit!

(Serves about 4-5)

WAFFLES/PANCAKES:

Ingredients:
-1 cup flour
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 tbsp vegetable oil
-1 egg
-2/3 canned (or fresh pureed!*) pumpkin
-1 cup buttermilk
*To make freshly pureed pumpkin, cook an appropriate amount in a pressure cooker, then either smash by hand or puree using a blender/food processor

Preparation:
-Combine all ingredients and mix well.
-For waffles: Fill waffle maker with appropriate amount of batter and cook until done.
-For pancakes: Scoop appropriate amount of batter onto a pre-heated griddle or large pan (on medium-high heat).  Cook until brown on both sides.

PUMPKIN BUTTER:

Ingredients:
-3 large tbsp pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
-2 large tbsp ghee
-1 large sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-1/3 cup of milk (I used 2%)
-Salt to taste

Preparation:
-Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat on medium-low while covered (to prevent from drying).
-Stir occasionally until all ingredients are homogeneously mixed.
-Taste before serving to adjust seasonings.

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH:

Ingredients:
-1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced into small pieces
-4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-1 large sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
-Salt to taste
-1 tbsp ghee

Preparation:
-Combine all ingredients and bake in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for about 1 hour, uncovered.
-Serve as a side with waffle/pancakes topped with pumpkin butter.

1 comment: