Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Review - Yum Yum Cupcakes

I have fantastic news, residents of Atlanta!  The Howell Mill Food Park will now be open year-round, 7 days a week, starting Thursday, April 26.  This means unlimited access to quality food trucks any time we want!  Regulars, such as Yumbii, Sweet Auburn BBQ, Tex's Tacos, The Fry Guy, Good Food, The Pup Truck, and The King of Pops, offer an assortment of delectable treats ranging from Korean tacos to hot dogs to homemade (mostly) fruit-based popsicles.  Some may roll their eyes and say the whole food truck concept has really been over-popularized in the last few years, but I really think it's a brilliant idea.  Truthfully, who can think of a better summer evening than sitting on a park bench eating a messy burrito with friends?  I sure can't.

I have to admit, though, that my favorite food truck in Atlanta, bar none, has to be Yum Yum Cupcakes.  Each and every bite of their gourmet cupcakes is a delightful treat, a little piece of magic, Heaven on Earth.  Made with tender loving care, Yum Yum's palm-sized pastries are packed with flavor and topped with a homemade icing that doesn't even compare with some of the best bakeries/cupcakeries in Atlanta.  They offer about 15 unique flavors, of which my favorites include the Victoria (vanilla with vanilla buttercream frosting), the Scarlett (strawberry cake with strawberry filling and strawberry buttercream frosting), and of course...my all-time favorite...<enter dramatic music>...THE RUBY (red velvet with cream cheese frosting).

You really can't go wrong with what you choose as your dessert here, but, oh, the Ruby...it just melts in your mouth.  Joe can vouch for me when I say this -- I literally close my eyes every time I eat one of these cupcakes.  The Ruby just boasts a sweet, creamy, rich icing that perfectly complements the slight cocoa flavor from the cupcake.  I feel like my entire body melts and is elevated to a greater level of existence when I consume one of these delectable treats.

The Victoria is certainly a close second among the contenders.  I've always believed that the poor vanilla flavor has gotten a bad reputation, being dubbed 'boring' and 'flavorless,' when it is, in fact, the complete opposite. Vanilla is one of the most uniquely beautiful flavors on the face of this universe.  It is anything but boring.  Plus, didn't you know that vanilla bean pods come from a type of orchid?  There is nothing bland** about that!  Anyway, my point is, vanilla buttercream on vanilla is a stellar combination and certainly worth trying at Yum Yum!

**Note: I just looked up synonyms for the word "bland" on thesaurus.com and found "vanilla" on the list. Can you believe that??

The one drawback to this place?  Well, sales only happen from their flamboyantly bright pink trucks (at least you can spot them from a mile away).  There is no publicized bakery.  Not to fret, though -- even though we can't really see where the magic really happens, Yum Yum's calendar is posted on the website, which makes it easy to follow them if you are a devoted fan.  And honestly, I appreciate these quality cupcakes so much more when there actually is a "Yum Yum spotting."

Now, with that being said, anyone heading to the grand opening of the Howell Mill Food Park to enjoy some delicious grub this Thursday?  My only requirement is that after we wash down an out-of-this-world entree, we must  head over to Yum Yum's (or King of Pops, for that matter) for a sweet treat.  

1 comment:

  1. I can't go this Thursday, but am excited to check out the food park another day. And even though I'm not as big of a cupcake enthusiast as Roda, I fully agree with the magnificence of the Ruby, that alone is worth the trip. Oh, and I notice Yoli's is a regular at the park - their roast pork dishes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete