Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My happy place is...

...okay, so I have a lot of different happy places.  But I'm transported to one of them when I close my eyes while drinking a cup of freshly squeezed sugar cane juice, with grated ginger and lemon juice, in the warm sunshine.

...

I am the biggest baby when it comes to sports injuries...I'll openly admit it.  It makes me sad when something prevents me from being able to frolic outside in the sunshine (including the rain).  I love to be outside doing SOMETHING; one of my favorite relaxing and stress-reducing activities is running long distance.  It's so peaceful to be outside in the sunshine, soaking up Vitamin D, breathing in fresh air, observing the environment around me, releasing endorphins.  Running has invariably been one of the most important happy places in my life.  When I'm upset, stressed out, angry, I run.  I don't run FROM the pain.  I just run through it.  And when something prevents me from doing that, I find it difficult to deal with day-to-day stress.

So, yes, 'your whiny-ness' got injured this past Sunday running through Lullwater Park with Joe and Sasha.  I'm actually just fine now, but I'll probably won't be running for the next month.  Poor Joe and Yan Ping (my roommate) have been watching me mope for the last four days.  It's ridiculous, really.  But I finally decided yesterday to climb out of the hole I dug myself in (because, really?  Life could be so much worse).  I was finally mobile enough today to take the stairs down to my car and drive somewhere, so I did.  I put on my "happy shirt" (doesn't everyone have one of those??), marched (rather, hobbled) down the stairs, and drove to the salon to have my eyebrows, which majorly needed grooming, threaded.  I thought since I was already doing something nice for myself, I might as well go next door to the Patel Brothers to grab my FAVORITE juice of. all. time.  Sugar cane juice with freshly-squeezed lemon and ginger.

Smooth, cool, and refreshing, sugar cane juice is a common drink in India.  It is a wonderful way to cool off, plus it is full of nutrients and is actually quite good for you (in controlled quantities).  Mixing in tangy and savory flavors makes the drink a bit more balanced and even more refreshing in the hot summer months (although, it is great any time of the year).  People often add chaat masala or black salt (bit noon) to it as well, to tone down the sweetness of the drink.  When I first discovered that Patel Brothers was selling it at the little cafe attached to their grocery store, I went ballistic!  I couldn't believe I would now be able to get fresh sugar cane juice (squeezed right in front of me, by the way) year round!  You won't believe how much they charge, either -- $2 a cup.  And it's worth all of that and more.  I highly recommend that you try it if you live in Atlanta.  One cup of this stuff may literally change your life, folks.




2 comments:

  1. can we go get this together sometime? b/c it looks delicious but i have no idea where Patel Brothers is

    -brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course! i'm game this weekend if you are. :)

    ReplyDelete